Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Syabrubesi to Riverside

Elevation: TBD
Time on the trail: 8½ h

Moved and moved and moved. My feet hurt lots. The usual spots on my collarbone are sore from the pack and I did something to my left shoulder. All in all, a good day of hiking.

Went two hours past our original destination, so that’ll make for a shorter day tomorrow – hopefully leaving enough time to do washing of body and clothes. (I originally wrote ‘selves’ instead of ‘body’, but the self, according to Buddhist philosophy, doesn’t exist. I’m trying to be mindful of my wording and how it impacts my perception of the world.)

Mark ended up a courier, or sherpa, if you will, when we stopped at a teahouse/lodge in Rimche to escape the pre-monsoon rains. This Englishman’s girlfriend had brought him current scientific magazines when she joined him in Nepal for holiday. The Englishman met up with an Aussie who wanted to read them, but the Englishman wasn’t done with them when time came to head downhill, so he agreed to leave them at this teahouse where the Aussie could pick them up at his leisure. Turns out the Aussie, Steve, is working with his Tibetan-Nepali wife, a German friend-volunteer, and local Nepalis on a water diversion project to bring running water to Gumpa, a village 200m above Langtang Village. And this teahouse was chosen as the post office because the proprietor is the aunt of Steve’s wife.

Had two helpings of spicy pasta a.k.a. chow mien for dinner and now, at 1950, I’m ready to sleep. Gonna try to stay up past 2000 so as to sleep through the night (like timing a kid’s bedtime, eh?). We’ll see how that goes for me. Yawn.

And Mark lost the map.

No comments: