Thursday, May 15, 2008

Riverside to Langtang Village

15 May (or 16 May according to the Army Checkpost Guard)
Elevation: 500m
Time on the trail: 5½ h

Easier hike today, or maybe it just seemed so because the pack and I weren’t fighting? Or because the blisters had already formed? Or because the cows started morphing into yaks?

One gets many recommendations for lodges on the trail, mostly from the friends and family of those who run the joint. We don’t usually shop around much, so it’s difficult to judge if there really are differences in accommodations, but Peace Full Lodge is nice as lodges go. Dinner has been had; the magazines delivered; and stories traded. We’ll wait on seeing the water project until we return this way, as we’re anxious to get to the top of the valley to see what we can see.

Steve and his wife got married earlier this year after five years of on-and-off long distance relationship from Nepal to Australia. They’re applying for citizenship for her in Australia and the plan is to spend half the year in Sydney (I think) and the other half in Langtang Village. It has yet to be seen if she’ll like Australia, Lord only knows what will become of them if she doesn’t.

If you’ve read one of my first blog posts about feeling at home in places where one has keys, then you’ll know I’m a bit jealous of these folks. Ah, to arrange such a life for myself. Wonder if I’d enjoy it in reality, though. For the past seven year I’ve moved every year; wonder how 2-3 times per year would suit me?

No comments: