Wednesday, November 12, 2008

It's you and me against them, and they're presently winning

Alas, my local REI is not currently hiring. But I've had meaningful communication with one potential employer and am moving forward with the screening process prior to being hired. And quite a process it is, although that's all I'm going to say about that.

In other news, I am volunteering for Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains, which is a cause near and dear to my heart. I hope to provide patient education and perhaps some form of direct patient care, but, for the moment, am pleased to be pulling charts, calling to confirm appointments, and learning from the uber-friendly and knowledgeable staff.

In addition to working in the health center, I am also a member of the 'street team', which provides staff for booths at public health fairs and drops 'goodie bags' off at local bars at apropos times of the year (ahem, New Years' Eve, ahem). Finally, I worked with the political action arm of the organization (in addition to volunteering with NARAL) and helped to defeat Colorado Constitutional Amendment 48, which sought to expand the definition of 'person' to include a fertilized egg (NO GOOD!). So very pleased to have this opportunity to work with such an upstanding and positive organization.

As my friend J.H. observed, I'm not getting paid for much that I do. However, I enjoy it and feel that it is a good use of my time as I wait for the puzzle pieces of paid employment to fall into place.

Photo: The full moon from approximately 5800 West 50th Ave. Denver, CO

No comments: