Monday, April 28, 2008

Today was my last day at the hospice


Today was my last day at the Hospice. It’s a bit earlier than originally planned, as I am taking a meditation course that runs 30 April through 9 May. I am looking forward to the class, though I do wish I had a few more days between ending work and beginning the class; I am afraid I will not be fresh to meditate. But, what to do?

My feelings about completing my work here run the gamut (Thanks Kate!) from relief to sadness. I know my work was appreciated, but there is so much more to do; just in preparing my report to the clinic administrators and head nurse and doctor, I thought of additional ideas and programs I would have liked to implement. But that is me working anywhere. That’s the sadness part.

The relief part comes from not having 100% of my heart in my work. That’s the part that made returning to Boudha on Sunday morning difficult. That’s the part that led me to leave some of the “morning duty’s” work (a concept I disagree with, but is certainly the culture here) for the afternoon, despite the disapproval of the afternoon duty nurses. That’s the part that makes me wonder about ever working in a hospital. Sigh And we’re back to that again…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gamut.

But that doesn't really matter. I came upon your blog via TallMatt's, and am enjoying it thoroughly. I believe I sat next to you at some event, but I can't remember what.

I hope your trek is going/went well.