Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Nargarkot, Kathmandu, Nepal


This weekend Mark, his friends Leisha and Jeff (visiting from Boston), and I went to Nargarkot, which is a town about one hour from Kathmandu on the eastern rim of the Kathmandu Valley. Its main draw is the chance one might see the mountains from 'The Tower' at sunrise. Oy. After rising at 0500, indeed, we saw a mountain (Leisha continues to try to convince herself and Jeff, who was too sick to go with us, that we saw Everest) and I've included a picture here for your viewing pleasure. Can you name that mountain?

I can't speak for the rest of Nargarkot, apparently it's quite the tourist town, with hotels crowding the main street, but somehow we missed all of that. We had very nice accommodations on the road to The Tower and then had to leave town too early Sunday morning to do much sight-seeing. Alas. I'm not all that disappointed, I think we hit the main sight. And really, how many handicrafts can one person look at? Plus, if I haven't said it before, I'll say it now, being a tourist is exhausting!

P.S. - The mountain is in the top left corner of the photo.

No comments: