Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Folks Who Have A Hard Time Leaving The House

Oh sh*t. I'm going to Nepal. Tomorrow. What if I'm not ready? I don't have all my music loaded on my new iPod (don't even ask!); I might not have enough [insert clothing item here]; I didn't save room in my carry on for the laptop... and on it goes.

I get the worst cold feet before leaving for a trip, mostly for fear of being unprepared. Indeed, I'm not the only one, as I come from a long line of Folks Who Have A Hard Time Leaving The House. I make at least one trip back inside the house before every departure. My mom makes two or three. My grandfather once had to clean the gutters before he could go on vacation (although why he needed the content of the gutter on vacation, rest his soul, we'll never know). It's a wonder we ever leave home at all.

I think my dad's reply to Andrea's and my invitation to my going away party sums it up: "We didn't plan on leaving the country this weekend [to go to Cambridge -- a foreign country -- the People's Republic of Cambridge -- get it? Ha, ha? Okay, Dad.]. We will have ample time to say goodbye to Jen as she lives with us. Nevermind that I'm taking her to the airport. Thanks for the invite."

So, here's to foreign countries, however we may define them, and for knowing when we're out of our element, even if we're just going around the block.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love leaving the house - in fact I have been bit by the travel bug bad, but I still have to go back in the house. Not to mention the dreams that start at T-2 days that involve being late for the airplane, forgetting to actually pack the clothes I took out, getting to the airport without any clothes at all, etc. Nice to know that other people have the same dreams. Missing you already.