Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Adding insult to injury

My mother's worst nightmare has come true; I think my bed has bed bugs (she was obsessed with them when there was a minor outbreak in Boston this past fall). I woke up several days in a row with itchy bumps on my arms and right leg, but none when I spent two nights in the spare room of Mark’s flat. At least I hope it's bed bugs, sorta, cause having a biting spider in my room is very unappealing, as is having scabies or measles. I have another bed in my room that's not in use, so I may switch to see what happens.

The other night at Mark's flat I took Benadryl because the itching was maddening, which was actually a godsend because I slept through the 5:30am rooster that usually wakes me when I sleep in that part of town. Yes, there are roosters in Boudha; no they don’t wake me. Perhaps the Hindus’ ceremony at dawn involving bells and a horn aggravate the situation? Not to mention the neighborhood dogs who start yowling in response to the aforementioned horn. No good sleep to be had in that section of town. If it weren't for the electric water heater his apartment has, versus the solar water heater the clinic has, I wouldn't go there!

This early waking almost explains the poor behavior of Nepali drivers. First, they drive on the “wrong” side of the road, which rendered me incapable of crossing the street for the first week I was here. Add to that a lack of lane markers and general driving rules and it is amazing I’ve not witnessed more traffic accidents. And if the haphazard driving behavior isn’t enough, it is accompanied by much honking, which is both a courtesy “Honk! I’m passing you! Honk!” as well as “honk! I’m really annoyed with you! Honk!” The water trucks even have "please honk" painted on the back! However, traffic all but stops once the sun goes down, so honking has not been a cause of loss of sleep for me.

1 comment:

redheadgrrlie said...

Wow. You really should put some explanation of your pics in your blog posts.

I wanna know what the deal is with the 'monkey on a wire'? Is that common?