Sunday, October 12, 2008

More than one would expect at the grocery


On a daily basis I am astonished that I have the privilege to live as I wish; today this feeling came over me at the grocery store. I was shopping for molasses at King Sooper's, a local grocery chain. Just before I located the molasses, I came across a bottle of fruit-flavored syrup bearing a sticker of the image at left.

Though I had no need for this syrup I nearly bought it because I am so stinkin' excited that I live in Colorado (finally) and that that local goods initiative exists, which makes it possible for me to easily show my support of local businesses by purchasing their wares at my major grocer. In addition, it's empowering to communicate via my puchasing power to the management of my local grocers that I prefer to buy local. Finally, it's heartening to know that people at a more powerful level than the one at which I exist also care about supporting local businesses (and perhaps the environment, too, though I don't know that the environment was a consideration).

Indeed, it was quite a powerful moment in aisle 7 of the King Sooper's at 10th and Corona.

Image from: http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Agriculture-Main/CDAG/1167928162081

No comments: