Saturday, October 3, 2009

Just a *little* neglectful

I have no excuse for not writing an update; I just haven't. Here is a nitty-gritty update on life since 9/17 (the date of my last post):

1) NEW JOB!
Working for the Jefferson County (Jeff Co) Public Health Department in the reproductive health department performing "Adult Health, Cancer Screening, Family Planning & Reproductive Health, Birth Control, HIV Counseling & Testing, Sexually Transmitted Disease Testing & Treatment". Nearly my dream job. So excited. I start 10/5 and aim to have a long, professionally rewarding career there.

2) IT band syndrome
Increased my running mileage too quickly (I guess... that is one of the common causes of IT band syndrome) and aggravated my iliotibial band, which runs from the outside portion of the hip to the outside of the knee. This means much pain when I run 'too far', which my body presently considers 6mi. Went on a hike with Julie and her/our friend Jen in Rocky Mountain National Park today and the activity helped stretch the offending tendon. I'm hoping to run <6mi tomorrow without pain.

3) Humboldt Street gardening complete
After installing a recycled plastic/recycled wood composite edging on the sidewalk gardens in front of my apartment, I have decided my gardening on Humboldt Street is complete. It's too late in the season to plant more (despite the building manager's request) and, due to starting at Jeff Co on Monday, I shall have less time to devote to agricultural pursuits. Photos to follow. Note: I am well aware that this does not mean I am done being Julie's garden bitch.

4) New bicycle
Well, it's an old bicycle that's new to me. The cool cruiser I was riding was stolen from the tree in front of my apartment (no trees were harmed in the theft of the bicycle, but the lock will never be the same), which put the kabosh on my two-wheeled transportation.

I have purchased a new set of wheels: a 1970s 10-speed which has been tricked-out with fenders at JD's Cycle Shack and I am thrilled. Well, I would be if the crank shaft of the pedals hadn't lost a nut and then a bolt and become useless. I'll be thrilled once again when I reassemble the crank.

5) JENNIFER 1, PARASITE 0
Still trying to figure out why my belly isn't happy, but the problem is no longer a parasite.

No comments: