Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Breaking out of the routine

I am a creature of habit, but I know this and that is a powerful tool against it. So, because I started anticipating the mental acrobatics that breaking out of my routine of unemployment would require, one would think that the transition would be going smoothly. And it is.

Wrapping my head around losing a big chunk of my 'free' time was top on the list. Indeed, I have a sense of loss of my 'free' time, but I think now that I have less of it I am better able to hone in on what I really want to be doing as opposed to doing everything because I had the time and boredom to do so.

Next was cranki- and sleepiness from getting up at 6:30am. Yep. I'm tired although not cranky (aiming for a good impression y'know).

Strangely unanticipated was the retooling of my eating schedule. Where I had the unemployed eating under control - every three hours nearly like clock-work - I'm hungry nearly constantly now. Hopefully this is due to my brain's needing additional fuel to process the policy and procedure manuals I've been reading; the computer system I've been mucking with; and the navigation skills I've had to learn in order to get from my cubicle to my exam room.

So, as excited as I was to break out of my unemployed routine, to start this job, grow my professional career, and get out of the house, I'm also looking forward to having a routine again so I can stop eating.

No comments: