Monday, March 17, 2008

Jennifer - 0, Stomach bug - 1



Had a great Saturday wandering around Thamel, the tourist area of Kathmandu. Bought a kurta (pics to follow, mom, once I get it fitted), got lost, found myself, and generally enjoyed the sunny, warm afternoon. Then spent the balance of the weekend at Mark's house, feeling sh*tty after vomiting Saturday night. Prolly wasn't the food; he and I ate the same thing for dinner, which I cooked.

I blame some sort of virus and am hoping it leaves as fast as it came, but it is now Monday and, while I feel much better than I did Sunday (like, I can get out of bed), I'm still not 100%. According to Caroline, an American woman working in Nepal for a year and a half, now is the time of year folks often get sick, as the bugs live a little longer. Great. Not as excited about Spring as I was last week...

On my walk to the clinic from the bus from Mark's this morning, I passed several fellow clinic folk walking *away* from work. Turns out they were on their way to a march in support of Tibet, the day after the 49th anniversary of the Dali Lama's exile to India, and the day after China put the smack down on mountaineers climbing even the Nepalese side of Mount Everest until the Chinese has summited with the Olympic torch. As you, dear reader, saw in the photo in my last post, the "Free Tibet" graffiti has become more prevalent; and even today on my way to the internet store I saw a new schmear: "Boycott the Olympics". Exciting times; I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Your blog has really brightened my week - yr mom gave me the link. I've just spent 3 wks renewing my friendship w/yr mom and the rest of the bell choir as I rehearsed/played at the memorial service for GM at BPC. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Unknown said...

I hope you are feeling better!