Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Americans hike where Nepalis trek

I know I've settled into Colorado because I have three house keys! However, getting from one house to the other is a challenge; I think public transportation is worse here than in Nepal (although something can be said for having a published time table and a little bit of breathing room on the bus). I thought to augment the bus and train systems with a bicycle, but it's having issues with the rear tire and/or brakes, so I've opted for inconvenience over potential accident for the moment. When I return from hiking segments 7 and 8 of the Colorado Trail with Julie I'll take the bike over to a local shop and have it sorted out.

This hike will be lots different from the trek (why do folks in America 'hike' while those in Nepal 'trek'?) Mark and I did in Nepal. On the Colorado Trail there are no places of lodging or to stop food or tea (I miss 10AM and 3:30PM tea times...). The mountains aren't as tall, and there will be no monkeys in the trees. Julie and I may see deer, bears, and certainly less animal excrement than is on the trails in Nepal.

So, with that said, I'm off to negotiate the Denver public transportation system to get to REI and then Julie's house. Though I'm not the tallest, whitest person around anymore, I will be the one on the bus with the largest backpack, so wish me luck entertaining the locals!

Photo: Sunset looking westward from Mark's parent's porch.

No comments: