Monday, June 22, 2009

Schedule

I, like many people, enjoy having a regular schedule. I sleep well; I eat predictably; I can plan social activities. But my schedule since starting work at the jail in March has been anything but regular given the way I was hired (by choice): I fill in when I'm needed.

What follows is my schedule for the past week, which is self-explanatory for my MIAness...
Wednesday - Tuesday OFF
Meant to go to California to see my seester, bro-in-law and nephews but just didn't get there; theoretically I was out and about in Denver though. What did I do? Had a great bike ride on the Platte River Trail where I took photos with my manual SLR. Note to self: need to get those photos developed. Talked to Greg's mortgage broker; we determined I need a permanent job in order to get a mortgage. Finished a painful, difficult knitting project. Started Julie's overdue birthday present. Napped with the cat.

Wednesday 1930 - 0530 (actually left at 0600)
Went ok although I was tired Thursday morning since it is not possible to get enough sleep the day before an overnight shift.

Thursday 1930 - 0530 (actually left at 0630)
Still tired in the morning, but a breakfast burrito keeps me awake during the 30 minute drive home. Beautiful sunrise.

Friday 1930 - 0530 (actually left at 0615)
Slept until 1630 and then futzed around on Facebook until I was almost late to work. Oops. But that's the most I've ever slept directly following an overnight; my body might just be getting the hang of this schedule.

Saturday 1930 - Sunday 0530 (actually left at 0545)
Again slept for 8 hours the following morning; not such a good thing this time since I need to go to bed at, oh, 2000 in order to get 'enough' sleep to get up at 0330 Monday morning to work the 0500 - 1500 shift. Did go hang out with Julie's friends by the pool in southeast Denver.

Monday 0500 - 1500 (actually left at 1630)
Got home and slept for 4 hours. Woke up at 2000 very disoriented, particularly since the days are so long right now (not complaining, just sayin'). Still awake at 2300, despite great tiredness, because I'm working...

Tuesday 1930 - Wednesday 0530
Tired goes without saying.

Wednesday 1930 - Thursday 0530
Must sleep when I get home, but not too long otherwise I won't be able to sleep Thursday night in anticipation for the chiropractor and then driving to the Sand Dunes Friday. Argh. Pretty much a waste of a day.

July's not looking much better, but I'm hoping to have a different gig entirely come August. Send employing thoughts my way, eh?

1 comment:

brownie said...

You should get more sleep so you're rested up for the Dunes trail, it's gonna rock!